Pages

5/30/11

Stuffed Mushrooms



Last night I made stuffed mushrooms. I've never had stuffed mushrooms, much less made them. But I had a wild hair up my ass to make some.

Having no clue how to make stuffed mushrooms, and only knowing I did not want them stuffed with meat, I went on a hunt through cyber space to find the perfect recipe.

I didn't quite find what I was looking for, so I did like I do with so many things I get a hair up my ass to make ~ I wing it and hope for the best.

These came out really yummy, so I thought I'd share my recipe.

Please keep in mind, when I wing it, I do not measure anything. It's all "eyeballed". I made about 12 stuffed mushrooms, and chopped, diced and added what looked like it would fill all 12.

Ingredients:
white button mushrooms (or whatever kind you like)
butter/margarine
yellow onion; chopped (or if you prefer green onions)
seasoned bread crumbs
grated Parmesan cheese
salt
pepper
whatever spices you like
(I was going to add a clove of garlic, but I couldn't find where a kid put it, so I settled for some garlic powder)

Heat oven to 350°

Wash mushrooms and remove stems. Heat pan with butter/margarine, and spices on med-low. Chop onions and stems; add to pan, turn heat up to med. Cook onions and stems until soft and light brown. While they are cooking, add a little canola or olive oil to the bottom of a glass dish. Take the mushroom caps and rub the tops in the butter you have the onions and stems cooking in. This gives them flavor and they cook up nicer this way. Place caps in pan, topsides down. When onion mixture is done, add breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. You want the bread crumb mixture to be moist, so if it looks too dry, just add more butter.

Fill mushrooms to just a tad over flowing with the breadcrumb mixture and place in glass dish. (Be careful, the buttery mushrooms are slippery little suckers!) Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until tops are light brown and mushrooms are soft.

The last 2 minutes or so, I topped with a few strands of shredded mozzarella cheese.

Remove from glass dish and set on a serving platter to cool for a bit. (I think they taste better lightly cooled then hot out of the oven)

They make a yummy appetizer, or in my case last night, a delicious meal!

0 comments:

Post a Comment