Pages

8/13/10

Finding words

It's been a while since I've had anything to say.  

Ten days to be exact.  

It feels like it's been a couple of weeks where nothing is happening, yet everything is happening.  

And in between it all, I have lost the ability to write.

I've wanted to jot down some things the past few days, but as soon as my hands get on the keyboard, the thoughts escape my mind.  

It's like my creativity has taken a vacation and forgot to take me with it.

Even my photography has suffered.  It's way too hot to go walking around the neighborhood, or driving in the non-air conditioned ghetto van, looking for inspiration.  When this happens, I can typically find something around the house to shoot in an interesting way.  But not these past ten days.

And let's face it.  I lead a very boring life.  I'm unemployed and when I'm not carting kids to and from school or cheer practice, I pretty much do nothing.

Seriously.

Laundry, vacuuming, cleaning the bathroom, doing the dishes, grocery shopping, playing computer games, napping.  That's the extent of it.  

And believe me when I tell you nothing exciting enough to write about happens when I'm doing laundry.  Or loading the dishwasher.

The highlight of the last ten days was last weekend.  I worked the home show, which wasn't too bad.  Friday was the toughest.  I was there from 9:00am until 7:00pm and it was the longest day ever.  Thankfully, Saturday and Sunday made up for it by being so busy we barely had time for a lunch break.  Now it's up to Derrick to close on most of the 42 appointments we set.  Meanwhile, I've had a few designs to work on.

Things will change, however, in the coming weeks.  Change in a big way.

Our lease on the house is up the end of the month and we've decided not to renew.  It's been too much of a struggle coming up with the rent every month, plus the utilities.

Last month our electric bill was nearly $300!  Between the pool and a very inefficient, much older house, the electric bill was slowly killing us.

So we have to move.  Lucky for us, our landlord owns a condo we can rent for a fantastic price.

Unfortunately, it's a two bedroom. And about 592 square feet smaller that the house we're in now.

The girls have to (again) all share a bedroom, luck them, Sean and I agreed to let them have the master, and I'm having a yard sale before we move to lighten the load.

Scaling down forces me to decide what I really need and/or want.  When we moved into the apartment we were in before we moved here, I did some editing of items, but we put quite a bit in storage.  Now I'm going to be doing even more editing.  Which gets easier when you pick up an item and ask; "Is it more important to keep this or get a dollar or more for it?"

Usually the money factor wins.

But there are some things I will not sell.  No matter what.  Like my dining room bench.  It's nothing fancy.  In fact it's very plain and a little beat up.  But my dad made it and I have so little from him, that I can't bear to sell it.  I'm hoping someday one of my girls will want it for their home and to pass it down to their children.



So, I will be busy the next few days sorting through all my junk to either pack or sell.  

In fact that's what I should be doing now.

But now I have to go taxi kids from school, then back to cheer practice.

At least some things will stay the same. 

Oh, yeah, I guess today could be called a highlight of the past ten days.

It's my birthday.


**I guess I found some things to say after all**

0 comments:

Post a Comment