Pages

10/20/11

Monkey Bread

Have you ever heard of this?  I saw a recipe for monkey bread about 2 years ago, but never took the time to make it.  Plus, it takes 3 packages of refrigerated biscuits, and that wasn't always in the budget.


Well, last week, the biscuits were on sale for .89 cents a can, so I decided it was time to make us some monkey bread.  Plus, it's probably the easiest recipe around!!

WARNING!  This is not a diet food!!!

Here is what you'll need:


1 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
3 cans buttermilk biscuits (make sure they're not the flaky ones)
1 C (2 sticks) of butter
2-3 tsp cinnamon
a bundt pan
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Pop open the cans of biscuits and cut them in quarters.  I tried doing a stack of them, but they just stuck together.  It takes a little longer, but it works best if cut individually.


Now, be careful while cutting the biscuits that you don't cut your thumb.  (Don't worry Mom, I just trimmed my nail this time!)

Now, if you have it, grab a big gallon zip loc bag and fill it with the sugar and cinnamon.  I didn't have a baggie, so I used the largest bowl I had with a lid.  Next throw in the cut up biscuits and toss to coat.


Put the sugar coated pieces in the bundt pan.  Or if you're like me and don't have a bundt pan and don't want to spend $19.99 on one you'll use only once, you can put them in a pie tin, or cake pan.  I bought some cheap disposable tin pans.  I had to put the biscuits in 2 pans so the middle pieces would cook through.


This pan was too full....

Meanwhile, add the butter and brown sugar to a pan and melt over med-low heat, stirring until all one color.  Basically, you're making caramel.

Once the butter and sugar are melted and one color, pour over the biscuits.  Sugar overload for sure!!


This might be the difficult part for some, but a necessary step.  Put pan(s) in the oven and wait 35-45 minutes for all that sugary sweetness to caramelize and the biscuits to cook.

When the biscuits are cook through, remove and let cool for a few minutes.  Once a tad cool, flip pan over onto a plate to release the bread so it's upside down.


Hold the kids and husband back for just a little longer until the bread is cool enough so when they start tearing at it, they won't burn their fingers!

The kids and Sean loved it, and "snacked" on it all day.  I had a couple pieces from the bottom without the caramel, which made it way too sweet for me.

So, if you have a severe sweet tooth one day, maybe give this easy recipe a try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment